Friday, June 23, 2006

Insurrection or Insanity


I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend, but I am also looking forward to a little research. I am focusing on black resistance in the diaspora next week. Nat Turner led an insurrection against slavery in August of 1831 that left over 50 whites dead. Women and babies were not exempt from the carnage. He said that it was a mission ordained to him by God. This horrific deed that cost the lives of innocent babies and human lives was meant to send a message -- Let my people Go! This band of more than 75 black men wanted freedom at any cost. They were eventually caught and put to death for what they beleived. Nat Turner was said to unmoved by his fate. Today, these men would be called terrorist, but were they really? Some might say that living under the conditions of forced servitude drove Nat Turner into a murderous mission for freedom. Well, I'll let you decide. Was it insurrection or insanity?

Coming Soon: "The Birth of a Nation" (2016) Directed by Nate Parker

Source: teachingamericanhistorymd.net

9 comments:

the prisoner's wife said...

revolutionaries?

Stephen A. Bess said...

Pwife-
See, I knew that you would shed some light. I agree. Revolution and death go hand in hand. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon Stephen! I would have to absoulutely agree with you and Pwife. In my opinion, that was also totally different, they were fighting for their freedom! I do think it was sad that children died though, they did not know better but I thankfully cannot totally understand how desperate they felt. I do not think any of us totally can. (Again, thankfully!!!)

Well, have a great weekend. I am trying to finish up here so I have all done for a fresh start on Mon! :)

Ananda said...

Rock on Scholar! I love the forgiveness quote. I am looking forward to next week's insights. Peace, Ananda

Stephen A. Bess said...

faith-
Yes, thankfully we cannot understand what it's like to be born and die in slavery. If most of us (black, white, yellow, and brown)can break those mental chains that remain then we would really being doing fine.

knock out that work and enjoy your weekend! :)

ananda-
:)Thanks! I will present the info the best I can. Peace sista!

Unknown said...

It is cause and effect.

Carnage?

The real carnage was in the slavery and the unsolicited, unincited, acts of violence, cruelty, and death on people brought here against their will.

Payback is Hell but,this wasn't even payback...simply a struggle for freedom from an oppressor.

Innocent babies...well then lets not speak of reparations then. Unfair that it may seems to some...you suffer the "sins of the Father" but....have they not profitted from the privaledge, the labor, the economic growth on the backs of the oppressed.

Tragically death can be the ultimate accountability.

Stephen A. Bess said...

pamela-
I agree. The 50 or so that died that day does not compare to the millions of Africans that died just in the Middle Passage alone. My choice of words in the piece was for a reaction. I like the way that you reacted. Thanks for your words and knowledge.

Friday Dialogue said...

I think Goldwater said "extremism in defense of liberty is no vice." I'd have to agree.

Stephen A. Bess said...

max-
Same here. Thanks for that quote.

Black Men in Life Space: A Change for the Better

Photo Source: Showtime The late great Chicago soul singer, Sam Cooke sang and announced that "A Change is Gonna Come." On season f...