Thursday, February 09, 2012

P.L. Dunbar Hymn: Lead Gently, Lord, and Slow



Lead Gently, Lord, and Slow



Lead gently, Lord, and slow,

For oh, my steps are weak,

And ever as I go,

Some soothing sentence speak;


That I may turn my face

Through doubt's obscurity

Toward thine abiding-place,

E'en tho' I cannot see.


For lo, the way is dark;

Through mist and cloud I grope,

Save for that fitful spark,

The little flame of hope.


Lead gently, Lord, and slow,

For fear that I may fall;

I know not where to go

Unless I hear thy call.


My fainting soul doth yearn

For thy green hills afar;

So let thy mercy burn--

My greater, guiding star!


Sources: esperstamps.org; Dunbar, P.L. (1913). The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar. New York: Dodd, Mead, and Company.

No comments:

Black Men in Life Space: A Change for the Better

Photo Source: Showtime The late great Chicago soul singer, Sam Cooke sang and announced that "A Change is Gonna Come." On season f...